Coping with Drought and Climate Change
What is the project about
The project seeks to develop food security and sustainable management of natural resources and the environment through among others, enhanced use of traditional and early warning systems, and integrating preparedness and mitigation mechanisms across sectors, policies and programmes.
To demonstrate and promote adoption of a range of gender segregated approaches for adaptation to climate change among rural communities currently engaged in agriculture in vulnerable areas of Chiredzi district as a national model.
- National institutions have capacity to improve knowledge base to facilitate climate change adaptation
- Livelihood strategies and resilience of vulnerable farmers/pastoralists in the selected pilot sites improved and sustained to cope with drought
- Use of climate early warning systems by vulnerable communities in pilot sites increase and drought preparedness improved.
What have we accomplished so far
The following reports have been produced:
- Project Baseline Study
- Downscaling climate change scenarios for Save and Runde River Basins
- An assessment of the Sensitivity of Save and Runde Surface Water supplies to climate change impacts
- Climate Risk and vulnerability assessment for Chiredzi District
- Climate change scenarios for the Save Catchment of Zimbabwe with Special reference to Chiredzi: synthesis report.
- Challenges and opportunities for climate change adaptation among small-holder farmers in southeast Zimbabwe
- Lessons and experiences of the Coping with Drought and Climate Change project in Zimbabwe
Who Finances it?
|Donor name||Amount contributed per year|
|Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF) under the Global Environment Facility (GEF)||$120.0000|
Delivery in previous fiscal year
- Project Start Date
- October 2007
- Estimated End Date
- September 2012
- Geographic Coverage
- Chiredzi District, South East Lowveld, Zimbabwe
- Focus Area
- Energy & Environment; Poverty Reduction
- Project Officer
- Daisy Mukarakate
- Environmental Management Agency